May 2019: What’s happening on Denman Island?
In May, Denman Island is alive with festivals and a wide variety of events in art, music, and theatre.
We welcome you to two musical theatre productions, the Baroque Festival concerts, the 32nd Annual Denman Island Pottery Studio Tour, the Denman Island Saturday Farmer’s Market, musical performances at the Guesthouse Bistro @Earth Club Factory, the opening of registration for the Readers and Writers Festival, and two Denman Conservation Society presentations.
We are also excited about locals participation on a television cooking program and our only winery winning two awards!
Photo of the month:
Baby eagles feeding at Boyle Point Provincial Park, Denman Island.
Photo by Gerry Ambury.
MAY 2019 NEWS
Register to attend solo readings, panel discussions by twelve talented Canadian authors, or for one of the writing workshops.
Authors include: David Chariandy, Ryan Knighton, Beverley McLachlin, Andrew MacLeod, Darrel J. McLeod, Billeh Nickerson, Heather O’Neill, Kathy Page, Paula Wild, Lindsay Wong, plus Denman’s own Des Kennedy, Dante Ambriel, and Stewart Goodings. More about these writers
May 2: The travel and cooking show Moosemeat & Marmalade features Denman Island on APTN at 7:30 p.m!
“Art and Dan head to Denman Island in search of crabs and oysters. They go crabbing and pick up fresh vegetables from farmer Sam of the Two Roads Farm. Dan handles the oysters while Art creates a seafood salad using plants and seaweed from local beaches. The enormous, colorful meal is a big success and a reflection of a “5-mile diet”.”
Registration open for Medicine Wheel Workshop on Denman Island
Experience the nature of time, energy and true self with Shamanism, Expressive Arts and Yoga.
MAY 2019 EVENTS
May 3: Randy Duncan Ukulele CD Release, with special guest Mark Kimmons.
Friday, May 3, 7 p.m. Denman Island Guesthouse Bistro @Earth Club Factory. $10 suggested donation.
May 4: Denman Island Saturday Farmer’s Market Opening!
Saturday, May 4, 9:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m. Marcus Isbister Old School, 5901 Denman Road
Eat breakfast or lunch while listening to talented buskers then browse over 30 vendors’ stalls. Buy your weekly vegetables, fruits and baked goods. Get that handmade gift for friends and relatives. Take home some flowers and herbs. The choices are wide and varied.
Vendors offer: Vegetables, fruits, greens, microgreens, meats, desserts, wines, breads, jams, honey, vinegars, personal care products, flowers, herbs, bedding plants, crafts, clothing, jewelry, cards, weaving, fibre arts, soaps and more.
May 3-11: The Denman Island Baroque Festival, with several free concerts throughout the week
- Friday, May 3, 7:15 p.m. “Hornby Baroque”. Contrasto Armonico chamber music concert at New Horizons
- Saturday May 4, 4:30 p.m. “Welcome to the Festival” Concert by Contrasto Armonico by world class workshop instructors
- Monday, May 6, 7:30 p.m. Contrastor Armonico “Tutors Concert”. Chamber music.
- Tuesday, May 7, 7:30 p.m. Talk by Marco Vitale, Musical Director on Baroque Playing Practice, and Pat Unruh on Medieval Notation
- Thursday, May 9, 7 p.m. Community Baroque Concert. Members of the community and the workshop participants will perform.
May 11: Final Baroque Festival performance: The Fairy Queen by Henry Purcell (1659-1695)
Saturday, May 11 @ 2.30 pm in the Denman Community Hall. $20
May 10: Spring Bird Walk with George Sirk.
8 a.m. at the Denman Island Railway Grade Marsh (meet at the junction of Northwest Road and Danes Road)
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call 250-702-7773 for more information.
May 11: Kevin Mitchell CD Release Party.
Friday, May 11, 7:30 p.m. Denman Island Guesthouse Bistro @Earth Club Factory. $15
May 14: Malarkey Mummers presents “Bring the New Year In”.
Tuesday, May 14, 7 p.m. Denman Island Guesthouse Bistro @Earth Club Factory. $10
May 17: Zonnis – Folk, Rock, Blues & Musical Comedy
Friday, May 17, 7 p.m. Denman Island Guesthouse Bistro @Earth Club Factory. $10
May 18: Rosealee Peppard
Saturday, May 17, 7 p.m. Denman Island Guesthouse Bistro @Earth Club Factory. $15
May 18 & 19: Denman Island 32nd Annual Pottery Studio Tour
Saturday, May 18 and Sunday May 19, 10 am – 5 pm
Pick up a free map to all ten venues participating on the 2019 tour at the Buckley Bay ferry booth, or on island at the General Store, Craft Shop or Abraxas Books.
Throughout May, the Denman Craft Shop will display work from all the pottery studios on the tour!
May 19: Living Titanic, a musicale by Rosalee Peppard
Sunday, May 19, 7:30 p.m., Denman Island Community Hall, 1169 Northwest Road.
A musical about Hilda Lacon (as in Lacon Road, Denman Island) survivor of both the Titanic disaster and the Halifax harbour explosion.
Tickets $20, available online at Concerts Denman
or at the Denman General Store (250) 335-2293 or Abraxas Books on Denman (250) 335-2731
May 30: Presentation: Sarah Patton on Whale Conservation
Thursday, May 30, 2 p.m. at the Denman Island Community Hall, 1169 Northwest Road
More things to do while you are here
- Visit one of our many island Artists Studios, where you’ll connect with the actual artist – they are happy to talk about their work!
- Visit Corlan Vineyard and Farm for wine tasting, fresh produce, plants and farm-fresh eggs
- Make a stop at Abraxas. More than a book store, you’ll find games, toys, art supplies, office supplies, and a gift section including local artisans from pottery to knit-wear to paintings.
TIPS when visiting Denman Island
- TIP#1: Just 10 minutes by Cable Ferry from Buckley Bay (between Courtenay and Qualicum) to Denman Island, check the schedule and plan ahead. Note that ferry traffic can be busy in the summer, sometimes prompting the ferry to shuttle rather than adhere to the schedule.
- TIP#2: Always pre-confirm business hours, island hours are flexible depending on the season, the weather, second jobs and farm work.
- TIP#3: Bring cash $. Many home-based studios and businesses do not have interact or credit card capabilities. Access to an ATM only during General Store hours.