October 2019: What’s Happening on Denman Island?
October is a beautiful time to visit Denman Island to take a peaceful beach walk or a stroll through a vineyard, choose fresh produce from local harvests, take part in Apple Fest, or attend live music events including the annual Denman Island Halloween Dance. Also check out three new videos about life on Denman Island, the Craft Shop relocation, a new island bus, and our featured B&B. #denmanisland
October 3: Daniel Champagne with Van Larkins opening
Live music & refreshment!
Friday, October 3, 7 p.m. at the Earth Club Factory Bistro & Guesthouse, 3806 Denman Road
October 11 & 12: Fawlty Towers Dinner Theatre
A fun night with a 3-course dinner
- Roasted butternut squash with smoked paprika soup OR bocconcini salad with Pesto
- Spiced cheese-stuffed meatballs with marinara sauce OR Salmon cakes with lemon tarragon sauce OR Roasted vegetable lasagne with garlic bread
- Pavlova OR Dutch apple pie with cream or ice cream
Tickets: $45 available at Abraxas.
Friday, October 11 OR Saturday, October 12, 6:30 p.m. at the Earth Club Factory Bistro & Guesthouse, 3806 Denman Road
FREE & Family Friendly
Apple Fest at the Farmers’ Market, 9:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m. Marcus Isbister Old School, 5901 Denman Road
- Apple Display
- Apple ID
- Pie & Juice Table
- Pest ID Workshop at 1 p.m. – Join environmental Farm Plan Consultant Kiara Jack for a one-hour workshop covering integrated pest management, pest ID, helpful tools identifying orchard pests. No charge but donations are appreciated. Sponsored by the Denman Growers & Producers Alliance.
Apple Fest at East Cider Orchard, 2865 East Road:
- Orchard Tours at 10 a.m. & 2 p.m.
Apple Fest at Crooked Warden, 1100 Lacon Road:
- Cidery Tours at 11 a.m. & 1 p.m.
Apple Fest Corlan Vineyard, 8441 MacFarlane Road:
- Piemaking at 2 p.m.
October 18: Busted Notes
Live music and refreshment!
Friday, October 18, 7 p.m. at the Earth Club Factory Bistro & Guesthouse, 3806 Denman Road
October 20: the Saratovsky Piano Duo
Russian brothers Sergei and Nikolai playing great classics.
Sunday, October 20, 2:30 p.m., Denman Island Community Hall, 1169 Northwest Road
October 24: Open Mic Night!
Join locals and bring your talent to the stage!
Thursday, October 24, 7:30 p.m. Back Hall, 1169 Northwest Road
October 26: Big Easy Funk Ensemble Halloween Dance!
Halloween Dance with a 9-piece band playing music grown out of New Orleans.
All ages. Cash bar. Child care provided.
Saturday, October 26, Doors open 8:00 p.m. Denman Island Community Hall, 1169 Northwest Road
October 30: 20-year anniversary celebration with Bruce Coughan
Live music & refreshment!
Wednesday, October 30, 7 p.m. at the Earth Club Factory Bistro & Guesthouse, 3806 Denman Road
October 5, 12, 19, 26: Denman Island Saturday Farmer’s Market!
Market vendors still have freshly harvested veggies and several vendors will be there in October including:
Every Saturday, 9:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m. Marcus Isbister Old School, 5901 Denman Road
Plus AppleFest on October 12!
Denman Craft Shop is Moving!
The Denman Craft Shop is closing its current location on Oct. 27 and re-opening at its new location at 1071 Northwest Road between Denman Hardware and Abraxas Books & Gifts on Nov. 1.
New hours for Fall: 1-4 Monday – Friday. 10-4 Saturdays.
The Denman Craft Shop display the work of over 50 Denman Island artisans from beeswax candles and handmade soap, to paintings, woodwork, weaving, jewellery, glass, pottery, photography, handmade paper work, fibre arts and gourmet meal and spice mixes.
Denman Island public transportation Coming Soon!
“The Wrong Bus” will provide bus and shuttle service on Denman Island, and a ferry-to-ferry link for Hornby travellers, with a vision to operate a zero-emission vehicle within 3 years. The Wrong Bus plan a soft launch this year and through the beginning of 2020.
Denman General Store Thanksgiving Long Weekend Hours
- Saturday, Oct 12: store open 9 a.m. to 7 p.m. Post office open noon to 3 p.m.
- Sunday October 13 & Monday, October 14: store open noon-4 pm. Post Office Closed.
Video: Check out this Self Built Cob Earth House Tour – constructed Using Only Recycled Materials and Costing $9000.
To keep up with current visitor news, follow Visit Denman Island on Facebook.
For weekly island news and photos, visit The Islands Grapevine web site!
A secluded lakefront suite featuring:
- Fridge, microwave, coffee maker, tea & coffee
- Outdoor kitchen & BBQ
- Private dock for swimming, fishing, canoeing
- Generous breakfast
- Private bathroom
- Private entrance
- Private outdoor space
See more Tutu’s photos and amenities.
Health & Wellness:
Wednesdays: Intermediate instruction 4-5 p.m.; Beginner instruction 5-6 p.m.;
Saturdays: Drop in practice, 11 a.m. – noon
Things to remember when visiting Denman Island
TIP#1: DEER ALERT! Please travel the road with caution and expect to see deer.
TIPS to avoid deer collisions:
- Use a seat belt to protect yourself in the event of a collision with a deer
- Drive close the centre line as traffic permits – leaving extra space on the edge of the road
- If you see one deer crossing – expect another to follow!
- A second fawn often follows a doe with a fawn a moment later
- Deer sometimes reverse and run back – give them time
- Dim the headlights to reduce the deer’s confusion
TIP#2: Denman Island Ferry Schedules have changed for the season! See the BC Ferries website for updates.
TIP#3: Please tread lightly on our rural Island. Drive the speed limit, take trash with you, and respect your neighbours.