June 2019: What’s happening on Denman Island?
June on Denman Island: join us for the Home & Garden Tour, art shows, concerts, workshops, and health and wellness activities to seek out while you are here!
June 7: Katarina Meglic Art Opening w/ music by Stuck in F Position
June 8: Terrance Jack
Saturday, June 8, 7:00 p.m. at the Guesthouse Bistro, 3806 Denman Road
Sunday, June 9, 2019 at 2:30 p.m. at the Denman Island Community Hall, 1196 Northwest Road!
Tickets $20, available online at Concerts Denman
or at the Denman General Store (250) 335-2293 or Abraxas Books on Denman (250) 335-2731
Gallery Hours: Weekdays & Saturdays 11-4 p.m.; Sundays 1-3:45 p.m. at the Denman Island Art Gallery, 1016 Northwest Road
June Art Shows:
- May 30-June 11 Complex Paper
Artists John Tansley and Fracesca Barker paper sculpture and mark making
- June 13: Opening Reception “Of Two Minds”
paintings by Dawn Stofer & sculpture by Michael Dennis
June 13, 7 p.m.
- June 27: Studio Tour preview – assorted art media
June 14-16: Medicine Wheel Workshop on at Anyi Retreat on Denman Island
Friday, June 14, 8 a.m. – Sunday, June 16, 5 p.m.
Experience the nature of time, energy and true self with Shamanism, Expressive Arts and Yoga.
June 15-16: Denman Island Home & Garden Tour
Saturday, June 15 & Sunday, June 16 from 9:30 a.m. to 5 p.m.
11 venues to visit including a vineyard, park, working farm and art studio.
June 15 & 16: Tea Tasting
Saturday, June 15 & Sunday, June 16 from 2-4 p.m. at the Denman General Store, 1069 Northwest Road
June 15, 29: Denman Jazz
Saturday, June 15 & 29, 6:30 p.m. at the Guesthouse Bistro, 3806 Denman Road
June 21-23: “The Elements of Creation” Summer Solstice Art, Performance & Labyrinth
Friday, June 21, 1 p.m.; Saturday June 22, 7:30 p.m.; Sunday, June 23, 3 p.m. at the Denman Island United Church, 4575 Denman Road. Admission by Donation.
Through visual art, song, dance, word, and music, explore the four sacred elements – earth, air, fire and water.
June 22: Cross-Pollination Festival
Saturday, June 22, 3 – 10 p.m. Denman Island Community Hall, 1196 Northwest Road
Live music, booths with food, drinks, art, massage, etc. Entry is by donation to help pay the artists. Family-friendly event, situated near the playground!
June 1, 8, 15, 22, 29: Denman Island Saturday Farmer’s Market!
Every Saturday, 9:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m. Marcus Isbister Old School, 5901 Denman Road
Eat breakfast or lunch while listening to talented buskers then browse over 30 vendors’ stalls.
Vendors offer: Vegetables, fruits, greens, microgreens, meats, desserts, wines, breads, jams, honey, vinegars, personal care products, flowers, herbs, bedding plants, crafts, clothing, jewelry, cards, weaving, fibre arts, soaps and more.
June 30: Annual Pancake Breakfast
Sunday, June 30, 9 a.m.– Noon at the Fire Hall, 5811 Denman Road
Help reduce waste and bring your own plates, utensils and mugs!
Keep up to date on Denman Island Events
Canada Day at Corlan Vineyard July 1st!
Monday, July 1, 1- 5 p.m. 8441 McFarlane Road
Come enjoy live music, snacks, wine tasting and hay rides in a relaxed, convivial atmosphere.
Eco Dfndrs Film Camp For Kids August 10–18 for ages 12-15 Apply by June 15, 2019.
On Denman Island, an 8-day immersive experience encouraging creativity, leadership and communication. Workshops on script-writing, story building, indigenous cultural practices, film production and editing, create a film that represents your ideas on the environment, and watch it grow from an idea to a production to a big screen viewing in one week!
Register to attend solo readings and panel discussions by twelve talented Canadian authors, or for one of the writing workshops.
Authors include: David Chariandy, Ryan Knighton, Beverley McLachlin, Andrew MacLeod, Darrel J. McLeod, Billeh Nickerson, Heather O’Neill, Kathy Page, Paula Wild, Lindsay Wong, plus Denman’s own Des Kennedy, Dante Ambriel, and Stewart Goodings. More about these writers
*Abraxas Books & Gifts has Readers & Writers Festival Books for sale!
Travel and cooking show team Art Napoleon and Dan Hayes discovered Denman Island’s “five-mile diet” as they caught Dungeness and Rock crab, harvested oysters and sea asparagus, and shopped at the Denman Island Farmers Market. Filmed in summer of 2018 on Denman Island, BC, Episode 13: Crabs & Oysters of Moosemeat & Marmalade aired on May 2nd on APTN (Aboriginal People’s Television Network).
Staying on Denman Island
Accommodation options on Denman Island include Bed and Breakfasts in a variety of beautiful island locales. There’s also a centrally-located hostel, and an oceanside provincial campground. Lodging is limited, so be sure to book ahead to avoid disappointment.
Featured B&B: The Blue Owl B&B
Close to parks, trails, the beach and lake, if you are longing for peace, tranquility and a cozy atmosphere, The Blue Owl is just the place! See photos, amenities and customer reviews.
Health & Wellness ideas while you are here…
- Yoga with Fiona Walker Tuesdays & Thursdays Drop-in $15.
- Outdoor Yoga with Grace Davies Sundays in June & July
- Book a healing massage with Fiona Walker, practitioner Esalen, Trager, and deep tissue massage, as well as the energy modalities of Pranic Healing, and Reiki.
- Nia – Movement and music that arouses the senses, our inner athlete, warrior and dancer. Fridays, 10:30-11:30 a.m. at the Denman Activity Centre. Drop-in $10. No experience required; just a willingness to have fun. Call Max at 335-0364.
* This month, FREE Back-to-Basics Beginner Classes on Sunday, June 2 at 10:30 a.m.; Thursday, June 6 at 5:30 p.m.; and Wednesday, June 12 at 5:30 p.m.
Things to remember when visiting Denman Island
- TIP#1: Just 10 minutes by Cable Ferry from Buckley Bay (between Courtenay and Qualicum) to Denman Island, check the schedule and plan ahead. Note that ferry traffic can be busy in the summer, sometimes prompting the ferry to shuttle rather than adhere to the schedule.
- TIP#2: Always pre-confirm business hours, island hours are flexible depending on the season, the weather, second jobs and farm work.
- TIP#3: Bring cash $. Many home-based studios and businesses do not have interac or credit card capabilities. Access to an ATM only during General Store hours.