January 2020: What’s Happening on Denman Island
Happy New Year! Is your New Year’s Resolution to visit Denman Island this year? Denman Island in January 2020 has two live music concerts and off-season discounts at some of our B&Bs.
The New Year is a great time to reflect on the past year’s successes. Check out our 2019 Year in Review video with photos of Denman Island seasons, events, art and music of 2019 ; the news story highlights of the year; plus our Top 10 Most Liked Facebook Posts of 2019.
Also see our new VisitDenmanIsland.ca YouTube Channel, now loaded with 6 videos about life on Denman Island.
Our cover photo for January is from the Beaufort View Trail in Central Park, Denman Island – view of the Beaufort mountains on Vancouver Island.
Below is the trail along the lookout. Photos taken New Year’s Day by Trish Weatherall.
January 11: Hardly Handsome
A fine evening of acoustic music ranging from bluegrass to swing to Americana. This duo version of Hardly Handsome has Bill Humby on guitar and vocals, and the amazing multi-instrumentalist Miles Zurawell on vocals, resonator and acoustic guitar. Live music at its best. Come on out and join us!
$10 at the door.
Saturday, January 11, 7 p.m. at the Earth Club Factory Bistro & Guesthouse, 3806 Denman Road
January 17: Co-Conspirators live at the Earth Club Factory
The Co-Conspirators is a Montreal, QC based duo playing modern folk music with elements of country, rock, blues, gospel, bluegrass, spirituals, and general roots music.
Friday, January 17, 7 p.m. at the Earth Club Factory Bistro & Guesthouse, 3806 Denman Road
January 19: Dulu Piano Wind Quintet Concert
Bogdan Dulu on the piano and members from the Vancouver Symphony Orchestra: Beth Orson, Oboe. Michelle Goddard, Clarinet. Julia Lockhart, Bassoon. Andrew Mee, French Horn.
Sunday, January 19, 2:30 p.m., Denman Island Community Hall, 1169 Northwest Road
Jan 25: Seedy Saturday
Trade seeds, meet local organizations and attend 3 Special presentations:
- 11 a.m. – Philippa Joly, Bright Moon Botanicals | Medicines in your back yard
- 12 p.m. – Azja Jones-Martin, Young Agrarians | Linking Land & Future Farmers
- 1 p.m. – Dan Jason, Salt Spring Seeds | Saving Seeds for Climate Change
The event is Free, but small donations are accepted!
Catered Lunch available for purchase.
Saturday, January 25, 9:30 a.m. – 2:30 p.m., Denman Island Community Hall, 1169 Northwest Road
Jan 31: Games Night Fundraiser
Crokinole and Cribbage Games Night! Fundraiser for Denman Island Community Education Society.
Every time you win a game, you will be entered in a raffle for fabulous door prizes!
Serving wine, beer, cider and salty snacks, as well as coffee, tea and baked goods.
Admission: sliding scale $5-$20
Friday, January 31, 6:30 – 9:30 p.m., Denman Island Community Hall (Back Hall), 1169 Northwest Road
And coming February 1st: Reid Jamieson Band
Vancouver’s Reid Jamieson Band is a vocal powerhouse committed to making music that moves us. Known for regular appearances on CBC’s Vinyl Café, to recording with Cowboy Junkies, they shine with compelling originals, plus killer covers of everything from 50s era gold to their latest tribute to Leonard Cohen. A classic introvert/extrovert combo, Reid performs with his saucy wife and long-time song-writing partner Carolyn Mill. Together they have won the John Lennon Songwriting Contest and wrote their way into the Vancouver Folk Festival.
Tickets $15 Reservations 250-335-2688 email@example.com
Saturday, Feb. 1. Doors 6 p.m. Show 7 p.m. at the Earth Club Factory Bistro & Guesthouse, 3806 Denman Road
NEW! Check out the new Visit Denman Island YouTube Channel!
Subscribe to the Visit Denman Island YouTube channel to be notified of new videos added!
Denman Island Videos posted so far include:
- Christmas Craft Fair 2019
- Denman Craft Shop new location
- Fall Scenes of Denman Island 2019
- Fillongley Provincial Park
- Corlan Vineyard’s Ortega Community Grape Harvest & Celebration
- 2019 Denman Island Year in Review
Stay tuned for more!
If you have a video or photos of Denman Island, send them to firstname.lastname@example.org
News Highlights of 2019 on Visit Denman Island’s Stories:
- Nightclubbing on Denman: The Earth Club Factory Bistro & Guesthouse
- Earth Club Factory owners reflect Denman community values
- Corlan Vineyard & Farm wins Silver on the world wine-making stage
- Denman Island featured on Moosemeat & Marmalade TV Show
- Denman Island Summer Art Gallery Shows
- Access prime nature & wildlife photography on Denman Island
- 6 Reasons to Visit Denman Island this Fall
- Lifetime achievement award for Denman potter Gordon Hutchens
See our Stories section for more!
Or for more weekly island news and photos, and archives, visit The Islands Grapevine newspaper web site.
Do you follow Visit Denman Island on Facebook?
Here are the Top 10 Most ‘Liked’ posts from 2019:
Off-Season Accommodation Deals
Did you know that during the low season many of the B&Bs on Denman Island have reduced rates?
Check out these deals!
- Arbutus Ridge:a 3 bedroom, 2 bathroom family-friendly fully equipped cottage on 11 sunny acres located on a ridge with a great view. Low season rate $150 per night (double occupancy). Additional guests at $25 per night per person. Minimum Booking 2 nights.
- Cabin in the Woods Retreat: This two-bedroom cedar-clad studio with all amenities is in a private, self-contained part of the owners’ residence, nestled on a 10-acre natural woodland. Both bedrooms have lake views. Winter rates (October to March): $110 per night for one bedroom or $125 per night for both bedrooms.
- Lognest Retreat B&B: This peaceful and private oceanfront one-bedroom cottage on 7 acres features all the amenities, plus bikes, kayaks and a hot tub! Low season rate (October- May 17): $150/night double; $130/night single.
- And the always affordable: Guesthouse @Earth Club Factory, hostel-inspired, adjacent to the Bistro, and walking distance from the ferry terminal and downtown. It’s an affordable option that keeps you close to the action and some great breakfasts and lunches, where you can comfortably be alone in a crowd or meet some locals.
- Shared rooms at $24.50 per night.
- Private single at $45.00 per night.
- Double rooms at $59.00 per night.
- Family rooms at $72.95 per night plus seasonal camping and glamping options.
Things to remember when visiting Denman Island
TIP#1: There has been a confirmed Cougar sighting on Denman Island in December. Please be cautious when hiking, keeps dogs on leash, and children close.
TIP#2: DEER ALERT! Please travel the road with caution and expect to see deer.
TIPS to avoid deer collisions:
- Use a seat belt to protect yourself in the event of a collision with a deer
- Drive close the centre line as traffic permits – leaving extra space on the edge of the road
- If you see one deer crossing – expect another to follow!
- A second fawn often follows a doe with a fawn a moment later
- Deer sometimes reverse and run back – give them time
- Dim the headlights to reduce the deer’s confusion
TIP#3: Please tread lightly on our rural Island. Drive the speed limit, take trash with you, and respect your neighbours.