December 2019: What’s Happening on Denman Island?
December on Denman Island is filled with festive events! Come for the 38th annual Christmas Craft Fair, a live concert with a Grammy Award-winner, Moonlight Madness sales, or a professionally produced Community Nativity Pageant. Check out the off-season accommodation deals at island B&Bs below for a quiet holiday getaway.
Also read about the 6 Reasons for Visit Denman Island this Fall.
December 1: Denman Island Christmas Craft Fair
Two Vibrant Venues, 80 Artisans
Sunday, Dec. 1, 10 a.m.– 4:00 pm, Denman Community Hall 1169 Northwest Road, and Denman Activity Centre, 1111 Northwest Road
Over 80 of the region’s best artisans fill two festive halls! The Craft Fair, now in its 38th year, is one of Denman’s most iconic events, a weekend where the island comes together to show off its best qualities: art and craftsmanship, hospitality, locally grown and cooked food, and a warm welcome from a tight-knit community.
- PLUS: Two food halls showcasing offering delicious home-cooked meals with a focus on local ingredients from Denman’s farms, a vibrant outdoor market, and a welcoming island ambiance.
- Both venues are wheelchair accessible
- Admission is FREE!
- Parking available on site, but we recommend leaving your vehicle at Buckley Bay and walking on the ferry. A shuttle van will be on hand to take visitors up the hill to the venues, or it’s a two-block walk.
December 6: John Reischman and the Jaybirds with special guests Tai & Taz
Concerts Denman presents Grammy Award-winning John Reischman and the Jaybirds live on Denman Island.
John Reischman and The Jaybirds deliver something special in a marketplace filled with holiday music – an exploration of the origins of bluegrass and the sounds of old-time Appalachia in a festive concert described as “a lovely romp through the snowy backwoods of American roots music.”
Taz Oldaker and Denman Island’s Tai McGillivray are thrilled to open the show for them!
Doors open at 7 p.m.
Friday, December 6, 7:30 p.m., Denman Island Community Hall, 1169 Northwest Road
December 13: Moonlight Madness
Downtown businesses will be open with sales and treats!
The Denman Craft Shop is holding its grand opening with 15% off all day, Abraxas Books & Gifts has 10% off during the Moonlihgt evening,
Other stores open for Christmas cheer and shopping convenience: Denman Hardware, the General Store, the Cheshire Cat, Felt & Fibre
Also stop into the Royal LePage office (the little house beside the General Store) for some warm soup,
Friday, Dec. 13, 4 – 9 p.m. Downtown Denman Island
Moonlight Madness Music, Food & Beverage @Earth Club Factory Bistro & Guesthouse, featuring Ryder Bachman and Joy Riders (and an outdoor fire, weather permitting!) Moonlight Madness gift sales too!
Friday, Dec. 13, 4 – 9 p.m. Downtown Denman Island, 3806 Denman Road
December 22: Community Nativity Pageant
This community pageant directed by Denman resident, award-winning television producer and director Hilary Pryor promises to be a memorable event. Sponsored by St. Saviour’s Church, Arts Denman, and May Street Productions, you’re invited to join locals for a unique production predicted “a dark, mysterious and magical space at the community hall as a special setting to tell the traditional story of the first Christmas – the birth of Jesus. The audience is invited to join the actors and the Madrigal Choir as they raise their voices singing well-loved carols in joyous celebration.”
Bring a flashlight to find your way to a seat and read the program!
Attendance by donation.
Friday, Dec. 22, 4 p.m. Denman Island Community Hall, 1169 Northwest Road
December 24: Christmas Eve Carol Service
St. Saviour’s Anglican Church invites you to a shared Christmas Eve Carol Service.
Refreshments to follow.
4 p.m. United Church, 4575 Denman Road
December Updates on limited Denman Island Saturday Farmer’s Market Vendors
Saturdays, 9:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m. Marcus Isbister Old School, 5901 Denman Road
- Two Roads Farm – vegetables and farm-raised pork. At the market until Christmas! Then back in mid-February.
Farm stand is closed in December.
Follow Two Roads Farm Facebook page
- Corlan Vineyard – wine tasting, To Ewe wine, as well as coffee and cake.
Find them at the Christmas Craft Fair for wine or lunch Dec. 1! And most Saturdays at the Market/Recycling Centre in December.
Lunches at Corlan Vineyard Tuesday-Friday 11:30 a.m. – 1:30 p.m.
Follow Corlan Vineyard’s Facebook page.
- Ima’s Kitchen will be Closed Dec. 7 to Jan 15th
An authentic Middle Eastern-style bakery on Denman: Israeli breads, hummus, olive tapenade, hot sauce, and cinnamon buns!
Check Ima’s Kitchen Facebook page to keep up to date.
Find them at the Seniors Hall during the Christmas Craft Fair Dec. 1
Denman Island master potter Gordon Hutchens has received a lifetime achievement award for his 46-year contribution to the arts community. On November 27 at the Roundhouse arts centre in Vancouver, Gordon received the Creative Achievement Award of Distinction, Carter Wosk Award in Applied Art + Design from the BC Achievement Foundation. The Carter Wosk Awards recognizes and celebrates some of BCs most exceptional artists and designers whose work directly contributes to the cultural and economic fabric of the province.
And see this article about a visit to Gordon’s Denman Island studio: “Inside the Magician’s Lair with Gordon Hutchens”
The Denman Craft Shop displays the work of over 50 Denman Island artisans from beeswax candles and handmade soap, to paintings, woodwork, weaving, jewelry, glass, pottery, photography, handmade paper work, fibre arts and gourmet meal and spice mixes.
New hours: 10 a.m. – 4 p.m. Monday – Saturdays. Sunday 12-4 p.m., 1071 Northwest Road, between Denman Hardware and Abraxas Books & Gifts .
The General Store holiday hours:
- Open Dec. 24 & 31, 8 a.m.-4 p.m.
- Closed Dec. 25 & January 1
- Open Dec. 26 Noon-4 p.m.
To keep up with current news, follow Visit Denman Island on Facebook.
For more weekly island news and photos, visit The Islands Grapevine web site.
DENMAN ACCOMMODATION DEALS
Did you know that during the low season many of the B&Bs on Denman Island have reduced rates?
Check out these deals!
- Arbutus Ridge: a 3 bedroom, 2 bathroom family-friendly fully equipped cottage on 11 sunny acres located on a ridge with a great view. Low season rate $150 per night (double occupancy). Additional guests at $25 per night per person. Minimum Booking 2 nights.
- Cabin in the Woods Retreat: This two-bedroom cedar-clad studio with all amenities is in a private, self-contained part of the owners’ residence, nestled on a 10-acre natural woodland. Both bedrooms have lake views. Winter rates (October to March): $110 per night for one bedroom or $125 per night for both bedrooms.
- Lognest Retreat B&B: This peaceful and private oceanfront one-bedroom cottage on 7 acres features all the amenities, plus bikes, kayaks and a hot tub! Low season rate (October- May 17): $150/night double; $130/night single.
- And the always affordable: Guesthouse @Earth Club Factory, hostel-inspired, adjacent to the Bistro, and walking distance from the ferry terminal and downtown. It’s an affordable option that keeps you close to the action and some great breakfasts and lunches, where you can comfortably be alone in a crowd or meet some locals.
- Shared rooms at $24.50 per night.
- Private single at $45.00 per night.
- Double rooms at $59.00 per night.
- Family rooms at $72.95 per night plus seasonal camping and glamping options.
Things to remember when visiting Denman Island
TIP#1: DEER ALERT! Please travel the road with caution and expect to see deer.
TIP#2: Watch for icy roads.
TIP#3: Please tread lightly on our rural Island. Drive the speed limit, take trash with you, and respect your neighbours.